Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Social Media and Food

The worlds of food and technology are colliding in a new and wonderful way. Chefs are taking to their Facebook and Twitter accounts to share what they’re growing, buying, prepping and serving with loyal fans around the world. Number one chef Rene Redzepi regularly posts pictures of dishes prepared by visiting chefs who have foraged with Rene at Noma.

Recently I noticed an interesting hashtag taking the foodies of twitter by storm, #noshowshame. Chefs in Australia have decided to take a stand by naming and shaming people who don’t show up for bookings. The whole idea behind it is to deter people from bailing on their bookings, which according to some chefs, is working. However, as with any initiative there has been some criticism saying that the hashtag is unprofessional and unnecessary.

Now even chefs in the UK are picking up on it and soon it might spread to restaurants across the globe. Personally, if I book a restaurant it’s because I’m absolutely dying to go and if I’m even a minute late I feel absolutely awful. I can’t imagine not showing up without even a phone call, that my foodie friends is just the height of rudeness.

What do you think? Is it unprofessional for chefs and restaurants to name and shame their no shows?

Curiously,

Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment